Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I don't know if this has been asked before, but...?

My husband and his brother were adopted when they were 3 and 5. They have no contact with their birth mother and have not been in contact with her since the adoption. All we know about this woman is her first name, and a couple of her previous last names (apparently, she was a 'career criminal' and changed identities and got married ALOT). We don't know where she's from, or any way in which to contact her. I believe the adoption was a closed one. My husband is completely disinterested in establishing a relationship with, or even contacting this woman, but it is very important that we get his birth family's medical history. Does anyone know how we should go about doing so? I don't even know where to begin.



Thank you in advance.I don%26039;t know if this has been asked before, but...?
in all probability... you can't.

I have heard of a FEW RARE cases of judges who unsealed adoption records, but ONLY in a life/death situation where the knowledge might save someone (ie possible transplant candidates).

A medical history of persons beyond the mother is a good thing to have, but in most situations, is NOT required. A doctor can identify what someone has, without medical background, and treat it. In fact, I have an adopted son.. and grandson through him, with medical problems, and it took me weeks to explain to the mom... that I can't provide her with info that is non existant, not to mention that having that info would not change what the doctor was now doing. It was not that I didn't care (as she accused me, in anger).

Bottom line is that hubby makes the decision, and you already stated that he does not choose to pursue it. Medical history isn't a public record, and even if he DID find her, that would not be certain she would know ..or give.. personal info.I don%26039;t know if this has been asked before, but...?
wow u must feel bad!



well i think thaT you should ask your local docters to see the records and maybe go to the adoption centere to track down the mother hope it helps!I don%26039;t know if this has been asked before, but...?
Adoption records are sealed and you need a judge to grant access to read them (usually read only and not be able to have copies). If you know the name of the adoption agency or who handled it, you may be able to contact them and ask for any medical information on the records. I would suggest having a third party contact the birth mother for family medical history so she can't contact your husband.I don%26039;t know if this has been asked before, but...?
You need to contact a lawyer in the state that the adoption took place.

They will be able to help you petition the court to access the sealed records that may contain medical information.