Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?

...undergo a complete identity change on here after having a fixed one for some time? Did you find the way people treated you was any different? Did you enjoy the anonymity or yearn to be recognized again? How long did it last?



PQ: If your child one day came to you and said s/he wished to be called by their middle name, or even a brand new name, because they felt uncomfortable with their given name - would you/could you respect that wish?Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
The most I%26039;ve done is change my avatar really. My user name has remained pretty steady.



I don%26039;t have other accounts if that is what you mean.



PQ- Um probably not to be honest. I have been calling them by their name since birth. I tried that with my parents (my name is Gabrielle, I was teased and called Gabriel). They simply explained how beautiful the meaning of my name is, the meaning behind it and how they chose it because I am beautiful.



-Edit to your edit-

I%26039;m sure everyone knows you aren%26039;t implying that. Thumbs down? Just part of life :)Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
I haven%26039;t ever over gone a complete change on here. I%26039;ve changed my ava and name, but I suspect everyone knows me still LOL.



I would be perfectly fine if my kids wanted to use a different name (If i liked it haha) or their middle names (which I loveeeee).Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
i havent, that would take way too much time.



yes i would, i went by my middle name for 3 years. i wouldnt call him his middle name because i know him as his first name, but i wouldnt care if the school and his friends called him Jaxon.Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
I have just been putting up a new pic. But when I DO get my points back, my name shall change. But I think no matter what, some people will recognize me.Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
I had a troll account, but was more of a run-by troll and hardly posted.

I%26039;ve changed my display name a few times, but I%26039;m not well known enough that anyone noticed enough to treat me any certain way.



PQ: It wouldn%26039;t bother me at all. My brother changed his name entirely one day when we were 11. All my father said was that he could go by his new name for a year and if he still liked it, he could change it legally. And he did.

I%26039;d respect my daughter%26039;s wishes if she did. I think it%26039;s horrible parents who punish their child for disliking and wanting to change their name by refusing to acknowledge it.

A person%26039;s name belongs to that person, who has to live with it. Not to their parents. Thus, it is their right to change it and that change when/if it occurs should be observed.Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
i%26039;ve only changed my picture



beautiful disaster: ur one of my contacts but i just cant figure out who you are. sorry lolParenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
I changed my identity when I went to college (dyed my hair, changed my clothes, became more confident), 17 years ago. Even since then, I%26039;ve been the same person.



I wouldn%26039;t be offended at all if my son wanted to be called by his middle name. I named him (middle name) after my brother who died in 1992. I%26039;d gladly respect that wish.Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
I had an entirely different account last year. I gave it up and opened a new one. Though I%26039;ve changed the avatar and made adjustments to my profile and name, there%26039;s been no complete change since. And NO I don%26039;t yearn to be recognized as the other one again.



PQ: I might consider the middle name (I go by mine) but I don%26039;t think I would go with an entirely different name.Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
nope. i%26039;ve always been gothika and this has always been my avatar since the profile pic feature was enabled. i think i%26039;ve grown attached to them.



PQ: depends on how drastic they want their names changed. they definitely cannot change their last names, that%26039;s for sure. now if they want to be called Watermelon Smith or Pudgy Wanker --well, there will be words.Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
I have no desire...and never have, to change my identity on here or in any area of my life. I change the pic occasionally, but that%26039;s it. I would not like it if my kids decided to go by some different name...though I could handle the middle name...I still chose it after all. We call our daughter Camille...her middle name. Her 1st name is Ava. It just flowed better as Ava Camille.Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
i change my name and pic on here alot..i am not trying to be sneaky or hide anything....i just get bored way too easily with the same old things....



if my LO wanted to be called by his middle name...it wouldn%26039;t bother me...it was my dad%26039;s nameParenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
Nope. If I ever did, it wouldn%26039;t take the other regulars long to figure me out, I%26039;m not a good actor. PQ: I have already been informed by my 4 y/o that his name is now Mike [Rowe].Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
of course you need more than one account

too many uptight dweebs reporting people

because they have all the coping skills of 13 yr old girlsParenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
I have always been the same...just added Lillian due in Feb cause I am pregnant with baby 3..but I am still Dylan and Ethan%26039;s mommy!!



I honestly have no idea if i would let them or not..I think maybe I would to their middle names..but I don%26039;t think I will a completely different name..Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
nah dawg i aways been da parent yo. dis me fo reelParenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
(Ha-ha, I just changed my nickname and picture today. Out of complete boredom.) I don%26039;t think people recognize me anyway, so it doesn%26039;t really matter.



PQ - I think my parents would be totally fine with it (as long as I don%26039;t ask to change my surname). If I had, kids I would do the same.Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
No, not in a LONG time (when I first started out I think I went through a couple of different names). I change my avatar and name but I always keep %26quot;Lea%26quot; at the front.

It%26039;s tempting sometimes though, between the violations and TD fairies!



PQ- Like Gothika said, depends on the name. If they truly disliked their name, and wanted to change it to something different (and not something bizarre) i%26039;d be a little hurt, but yes I would respect their wishes, if they were serious about it.Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
No to the first question. I think I would think it strange if my boys wanted to use their middle names, as they are the maiden names of their great-grandmothers (Brady, Hansen, Ives), but when I was 12, I asked myparents and friends to start calling me a different nickname. It didn%26039;t last long, it just didn%26039;t sound like me.Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
i never had an identity change, but i did once have a name and avatar change. and yes, there was a significant difference in how my answers were received.Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
I tried to do that once, to hide from the trolls.......... It lasted about 24 hours and everyone figured out it was me, LOLParenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
Yes I did when I found out I was pregnant. I changed my nickname and avatar. Then after I had my son I changed to the nickname I have now. I sometimes rotate pictures of my kids. As far as other accounts no I do not. I would confuse myself.





PQ: Yes I would respect that wish as long as the new name wasn%26039;t offensive. Most kids go through a stage of wanting to be a different name, but grow out of it, and even if they don%26039;t it%26039;s their name not mine. They have to live with it. I mean even though we went through the process of naming them with great care we didn%26039;t exactly ask their opinion.



My son is going through this right now. He is 6 and plays baseball. His nickname on the team is %26quot;Bam-Bam%26quot; and he has requested that we call him that instead of his real name.Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
ive thought about changing my pic and name plenty of times but i don%26039;t think im close enough to many people on here where anyone would know it was still me, and i don%26039;t want to be a complete stranger again.



lol! the name thing is a hard one for me. if my daughter wanted to go by her middle name i wouldn%26039;t mind because i still think it is a nice name and it has meaning behind it but if my son were to want to go by his middle name (i seriously doubt he ever would) that would be a bit hard for me. it%26039;s an hispanic name and it%26039;s just way too common/cliche. i really don%26039;t even like it but it%26039;s his fathers middle name as well so i caved on it. but as far as going by a completely different name, i think i would be a bit disappointed because i put so much time and thought into their names and they mean something to me. i think i would try to explain that to them and hope that they%26039;d change their mind but in the end if they told other people to call them something else and people listen, i don%26039;t think there%26039;s much i can do about it. i would probably just continue to call them by their real names myself...Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
What I dont understand is why everyone seems to have started to make repeated changes all at once. I would think that since you all have bunches of fans and admirers, you would want them to recognize you. It%26039;s not like we%26039;re coming to your home for autographs. As for me, once me, always me.

But check your local paper%26039;s legal notices just in case. : )



PQ: not a big deal, but my neighbor was H. Glenn, and with names like that, you wonder how bad that H name must be.Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
My identity has changed 3 times on here. The only reason is because I keep being reported and my accounts are erased. I can usually hide out for a second and then I have someone asking me if I am my old identity lol.



I do not mind being recognized. But I also like the fact that I %26quot;know%26quot; people on here without actually %26quot;knowing%26quot; them. (does that make sense?)Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
I guess so ya - although I wouldn%26039;t say I was ever a regular really in this section. I just changed my name and pic and about me info since wondering over here. Not many people here noticed so no I haven%26039;t noticed a difference in how my answers are taken.

PQ- middle name - not at all ... I picked it. Something new? Go for it - but I%26039;ll call ya what I please, thanks....I earned that as %26039;er mama. There%26039;s always the chance I%26039;d like it though:)Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
I%26039;m a NB%26amp;B regular who sometimes ventures into parenting. Ever since I lost my TC badge last week, I get a lot more TD%26039;s for my answers that include snide comments and put downs. I guess people don%26039;t find it funny unless it%26039;s coming from someone with an orange badge...Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
I have always been Hearts 808 with varying avatar pics...they are either me or one of my kids at all times...this is the only account I have ever had.I%26039;m just me.Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
I did change from being ultra serious to, well, not being so serious all the time on here. I have always been and will always be nanook. My picture has changed quite a few times since I%26039;ve been on here. I like changing it up, although this current one is a personal favorite and may stay for a while.



My children%26039;s name will stay as they are until they are out of the house. Their names mean something to us and we took great care in bestowing them upon their dear little persons.Parenting Regulars: Did you ever...?
I had a different name for about three months before I changed to this one. That was about two years ago, though.



If my son wanted to use his middle name, I would honestly cringe. I would let him do it, but I wouldn%26039;t like it. I%26039;m not particularly fond of his middle name. I only chose it to honor a family member.
  • cs files
  • client side script
  •